The joys of taste!

21:41 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
Well I have made it through my abbreviated detox no worse for wear. Tomorrow I can start re-introducing foods gradually - not like Larry who is fond of coming off the detox with key lime pie first thing in the morning, I prefer to go slow. The idea is that by slowly reintroducing one type of food at a time you a) do not throw your body into a mild form of shock and b) it is a good time to test out any food allergies if you think you have any. For example, since I have not had dairy during the detox, if I just add a glass of milk tomorrow but keep the rest of the food the same then I will be able to notice more clearly if it bothers me. This approach works better than having several slices of pizza piled high with all the trimmings. Should you have an upset stomach after, it is much more difficult to pin point which ingredient is giving you grief. Fortunately I am not lactose intolerant although I know several people who are, to varying degrees. One other benefit of the detox - at least for myself, is that it gives me a chance to reaquaint myself with some more subtle flavours. So much of prepared foods has a fairly strong taste that usually is nothing to rave about, or it has little taste at all. Tossing a bunch of dressings, sauces and condiments all over it just masks the food with another strong flavour. One of Larry's biggest complaints during this comes from not being able to use ketchup or cheeze whiz but I am happy to explore my spice cupboard and sample the play of the food's natural flavours.
In case no one noticed taste is a big thing to me but I am happy to say I have expanded my repertoire of tasty recipes by following this little regime. The spicy meatballs turned out very well along with the other curry dishes I tried. I am sure most people like to pick / plan out their menu based on the taste they happen to be craving. I don't need a lot of whichever item, just enough for a taste. I can't wait to pick up some plain yogurt and try some other curry recipes in the coming weeks!

No comments: