Ah... the yearly passage of time.

21:52 Edit This 0 Comments »

It was my birthday yesterday, and since Monday I have been receiving happy birthday messages from friends and family. From phonecalls to text messages and some silliness in between it is always fun to get together with my friends. Usually my birthday collides with Easter so things get stretched out over a week in order to make the rounds. This is not such a bad thing in my opinion and so far there has also been a lot of feasting and wine along the way.
The funny thing with the whole affair is that I typically do not pay it much attention. Over the years I have been kept thoroughly distracted with exams, portfolios and general craziness at work. And then about a week before hand I start getting people poking me for gift ideas, which usually results in a slightly startled look and some confusion as I try to wrack my brains for something suitable. Generally speaking, there is not much that I need, and those items higher on the priority list are not always appropriate (ie new litter box for the cat). So then we move on to trying to come up with things that I would like that do not involve large sums of money and are not ridiculouly hard to come by - on relatively short notice. This is not always easy as I have learned over the years people really like specifics. My boyfriend has had a hard time of it this year. Mind you it does not help that since he is intensly practical and something of a handy man most suggestions get dismissed (ie "you live in a cave, the only plants that will survive are fungi!" when I suggested plants) or get filed under "I can make that" which translates to said idea never materializing. He simply does not have time for those projects. But I am also quite happy with a fun day/night out as well so perhaps I can coax him out to a play or something. In the meantime, I'll just smile and enjoy it.

No comments: