A wonderful find

22:15 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
Today Larry picked me up from work and we headed off to 17th ave, not the trendy SW version but the SE end of it. It's name is International Avenue due to the fact htat the neighborhood is home to a wide array of ethnic groups as demonstrated by the various shops and small restaurants devoted to different world cultures. It is also home to an amazing number of pawn shops and nail salons. It's almost as if each block is required to have these two items to qualify to be there.
Larry was on the prowl for a cheap cd player to keep him from going insane in the warehouse. I was just browsing, along for the ride. He finally found one he liked after much wandering but we decided to go have some supper first and digest the idea. Supper in this case was supplied by a small donair type shop, the staff were friendly and the food reasonably good, although I doubt we will go rushing back to it any time soon.
We returned to the pawnshop with the cd player and my eyes happened to fall on a small shelf with some art supplies - decent quality stuff at that, and much of it was unopened. After a few minutes going through the items I settled on a box of Rembrandt Soft Pastels. The pastels themselves have never been used despite the box being open, and like any good art geek I had to go through them when we got home to see which colours in the assortment I had. The company makes 203 different pastels and this is an assorted box of 30. My treasure find for the week! Beautifull colours and not too brittle, I am going to dig out some nice paper tomorrow and have a go with them.

No comments: