One last room to go (and venting)

21:57 Edit This 0 Comments »
The other half finally got on board with the whole spring cleaning concept this weekend. With his help we tackled other areas of the house. I feel pretty good about what we accomplished. We are finally down to one last room, and here is where everything gets muddy, - the studio.

I grudgingly came to the conclusion we would have to set up some sort of computer desk for him. As he sprawls out on the floor playing his computer games he is literally underfoot regardless of whether I am working on the computer (tripping over his feet) or at the easel (trying not to kick him in the head). In addition a third of my books and resorce materials have been completely blocked off for months with the rest being simply difficult to get at unless you are a contortion artist. To sum up the experience in one word - aggravation.

Of course my tiny home is already filled to the max. Do you remember my drowning in clutter comment? So in order for anything to come in, something else has to be taken out and a whole lot of stuff has to be moved. This is a touchy subject for me because I do not appreciate someone else telling me how to set up my studio. Besides that, the only 'storage' space I am allowed is basically full so even if I packed up a bunch of stuff (as he is fond of suggesting) where would said boxes go? They would sit piled on the floor in the room. What is the point of that?

In this case three bookshelves and a table had to move and an old desk had to leave. A smaller bookshelf has been moved to the new desk as an impromtu hutch so the materials previously in that shelf need a new home. Plus the boxes under the old desk are now in the middle of the floor. The worktable is covered and unreachable. Art supplies are buried beyond reach. Numerous breakable fragile items are in full reach of a less than delicate cat (and boyfriend).

I wanted to be able to go through everything first and purge the worn out / unwanted. This way I would then know what space I have to rearrange everything in. This way the clutter could have been taken care of. But in order to get his stuff taken care of I now have a giant mess of stuff stacked and piled through one half of the room. I am very much frustrated because this just feels like a giant step backwards. There is a large amount of work to be done to sort through and put everything away. And with the next two weekends already spoken for (family commitments) it means I will be slowly chipping away at it in the evenings for the next month at least.

Some stuff will be culled, some will be packed away. Somewhere in all of this I need to make the art cards I mentioned before. In the meantime the other half gets to be a happy video game zombie. Right now I have a hard time feeling that all this aggravation is worthwhile.

No comments: