Lessons Learned

08:30 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
Play is a wonderful thing, and in terms of programs like Photoshop that is the best way for me to learn. Of course, the crunch of an impending deadline combined with some initial errors in judgement can do wonders for inspiration. Yes I have manuals but that is only really usefull when a) you have the time to go through them and b) you know what to do, just not how to do it. When faced with "how the ____! do I fix this?!", play begins in earnest.

I am conveniently choosing to blame the errors of judgement on the pain medication. Last Monday I had a procedure to break up a large kidney stone. To say it is uncomfortable and painful is an understatement. As such the doctor gave me some sort of pain medication via the IV. I felt fine after I was released: I was not fuzzy or sleepy or confused. But I did have some difficulty using my cell phone, clue # 1, and I was under strict orders not to drive for 24 hours, clue #2. It was in this state of being that I took my paintings to a digital art company to get scanned.

All of the paintings are essentially black and white, with the exception of the rose on the front cover. As such the gentleman doing the scans said he would scan the one image in colour and the other two in black and white. I agreed to this plan, with no twinge or thought that this might not be the way to go. So there is error #1.

When I received the call a few hours later to pick up the paintings and the disc I was shown the digital images on his monitor. Despite having stared at these paintings for the better part of a month, I did not pick up on what was wrong with the back cover image. At the time everything looked fine and I did not compare the on-screen image with the original. There is error in judgement #2.

It was not until several hours later (at which time the scanning shop is closed) that the problems were reconized.

Can you spot them?



No comments: