So how the _____! do I fix this?

08:30 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
Yes, when an item is scanned in black and white the program used automatically desaturates any and all colour. Both paintings were made form the same palette as I had mixed up a large amount of tinted greys at the start. To look at the scanned images you would never think they were painted with the same paints. Since they are going together on the same CD pakaging they need that continuity.

The second major issue is that the back cover painting is washed out - too much light has effectively wiped out a large portion of my light and middle tone greys. This flattens the image and robs any sense of depth and form.

Granted, I have very little 'schooling' in image manipulation. I can clean up my photographs to a point and I know the basics about layers. I tried playing with the tools that I know - graphs to adjust levels of tone and colour. I tried layering these with commands that adjust contrast / brightness. I was trying to make the black and white image look like the colour image and it just didn't work.

Having no other choice, I started to play. I worked through different commands in the menus to see how these options would affect the image. Thank heaven for the command! Eventually I found a combination of layered comands / effects that I could live with. I regained my midtones and lighttones. I recovered my texture. Of course the colour is still off.

Next step, convert the colour image to black and white (except for the rose) and apply the same steps to bring it in line with the black and white image. If I can't pull it one way, I have to push the other way.

Looking back on it now there are probably a few commands and steps I could do differently to make things easier. Looking back on it now, I think over-explaining things to the person who does the scanning would be the way to go. This way we are both on the same page!

And finally, if I undergo another procedure that requires pain meds or anything like it - I should just take the day off!

No comments: