The taste of nostalgia?

22:12 Edit This 0 Comments »
My co-worker came in with a case of girl guide cookies this week. Cookies of any kind do not sit around long in this place - the guys have long since embraced cookies as a singular food group! It works much the same way that my girlfriends and I embrace Chocolate.

I bought a box because it has been years since I have indulged in those cookies. I remember going door to door as a Brownie selling cookies in the annual fundraising drive. The troupe I was in did various activities but the only one that really stands out in memory was winter camping. I remember falling over in snowshoes, trying cross country skiing and living in the bunkhouse. I also remember the milk froze, or at least part of it. Someone at the table announced that the solid chucks were in fact rotten milk! So a full table of little kids were suddenly busy trying to pawn off the solid milk chunks to someone else. As I recall it was one of the leaders that started that chaotic jumble! I kept my glass under the table so no one could dump their 'chunks' in mine.

I never made it past Brownie level. I think my favorite part of going to Brownies was getting to play on the playground at the school - it had a spiral slide! Other than that, I liked the dress, hated the tights and overall I was only somewhat interested in the whole affair. I don't even recall what badges I attained. My parents decided not to keep me enrolled as a result.

But I remember the cookies! One row of vanilla and one row of chocolate filled the box. We would purchase a few boxes for the house and my dad and I would trade flavours, he preferred the vanilla and I the chocolate. These days I am more equal opportunity, I enjoy both flavours!

I am going to attribute this to the fact that my pallet is quite a bit different than when I was little, but the cookies just do not taste as good as I remember. That and the cookies these days are made by a different company than when I was a kid. In fact, they taste almost empty? There is a little flash of flavour and then the rest just fades out. Ah well, they are fine on their own, without trying to compare them to a distant past. But I do not think I will get any more this year.

No comments: