New defensive tactics

17:34 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
My cat has developed a few bad habits, not the least of which is mooching for food. When he first arrived he had no interest in people food, aside from some fresh meat once in a while or a few drops of milk. However the boyfriend seems to think that this is not the behavior of a "real" cat, and he has always offered a bit of whatever he is making / eating. Over time my cat has grown more willing to eat human food and has become more pushy in getting it.

I do not have an actual 'dining table' so we typically eat at the coffee table which means food is in easy reach of eager paws and we have to be on guard most of the time. The cat has, on occasion, managed to grab something and run off with it much to the boyfriend's dismay.

This morning started no differently, the cat has developed a taste for crackers and was attempting to steal some. Since I was on the other side of the room assembling my own breakfast I was having a few good laughs at the antics as the boyfriend was simultaneously defending his food and sorting some papers. Finally I suggested a solution and I handed him my stack of fresh grapefruit peel. They were promptly arranged in a circle around the boyfriend and his food, and the cat curled his nose in disgust and backed off. He then spent the next while determinedly circling like a hungry shark looking for an opening. It was only a temporary reprieve, as the cat eventually figured out he could go over the furniture and come in from above. By then however, most of the food was gone. I guess the boyfriend is going to have to think of something else next time.

No comments: