Spring Detox

19:44 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
Winter's grip is begining to thaw as we enter March and I am once again doing my annual spring detox.

I started on Sunday so for the remaining 10 days I am staying away from processed foods, flour, dairy and sugar. My boyfriend would like to interject that this includes no wine or booze as well. For those who do not know, the detox I undertake lasts for 12 days and the intention is to give my body a break from all the artificial food colourings, flavourings, preservatives and chemicals etc that are common in processed food. I have been doing this for a few years now and I can honestly say that the results are worth the hassle. It is not always easy (since I love good food) but in the end I feel better physically and mentally.

What I can eat can be basically listed as follows:
Whole grains
Vegetables
Domestic Fruit (the tropical fruits have too much sugar for this)
Meat and Eggs
Fish

Thanks to my ample spice cabinet I can enjoy flavourful curries, homemade soups, stirfries and roasted / baked meats and fish. It really is not as bare and desolate as some people think. Mind you eating out is pretty much kaiboshed but so be it, my wallet can breath a little easier for it.

I just heard a reminder on the radio that this comming sunday is once again time to adjust our clocks - yet another sign that spring is getting closer. I am starting to make a list of what needs to be done for spring cleaning. Unfortunately it really didn't happen last year so the house definately needs it now. Time to sweep and scrub and get some fresh air moving through the house.

No comments: