How much of a bitch do I have to be to get things done?

20:23 Edit This 0 Comments »
More importantly, why should I have to be bitchy to get results? The question stems from my work interactions actually. I am trying to do my job, but when other people don't seem to place their job (which I am trying to assist) as a reasonable priority then it gets pretty frustrating. And then to top it off, I get chastised when they drop the ball. Today's example: "you should never take no for an answer" (from a co-worker) on why something was not finished. My response: "I did not take no for an answer, you said yes - and then you disappeared. Ergo said job could not be completed." To them, X is always (at the time) more important than Y.
I'm not saying that the reasons are not valid or not important. I am saying that if you see fit to blame me for the choices you make despite having the information then I don't see fit to stand there mute.

One co-worker called me a smartass today - admittedly I deserved it. But I was completely serious in my response to him that I have to be a smartass to work with this group. My job is to facilitate their job and to handle the stuff they don't want to do - the paperwork. I am surrounded by alpha personalities who don't think they should have to answer to anyone (read - me), and who do think that they are the only ones who can get the job done. They don't think they need to follow their own protocols and yet they do think I should magically know all and be able to read minds.

No, I have not called that person yet, because no one could tell me if (insert very important event here) was actually done. Therefore, why would I call?

No, I do not know how this job breaks down into cost, because this person only gave me a total instead of filling out the work order. Yes, I can go ask for the work order (for third time).

I do not know how this job breaks down into cost, because this person only gave me a total instead of filling out the work order. Yes, I have already asked for the work order four times now.

When you tell me "X is happening tomorrow" - that does not tell me that I was supposed to make the arrangements yesterday for X to be done.

No, this document is not finished, because you have not given me the very important details I need to complete the job.

I could go on but I better stop there. Hopefully I can get a good night's sleep and maybe tomorrow will be a bit better.

Maybe. Depends on how bitchy I have to be.

No comments: