A day at the museum

19:20 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
This past sunday I took the time to visit the Glenbow Museum downtown. My main interest this time was to view the Emily Carr exhibit that has been touring the country, and I have to say that I was pleasantly impressed.
I had seen some of her work in Vancouver a couple years ago, mainly some watercolours and some pottery. I have to say it really didn't strike a cord with me at all.
This show was well organized and showed how her work evolved over decades. From the original thin paintings depicting first nations villages, through the influence of the group of seven and the fauves, through to comming in to her personal style there were paintings well illustrating each phase of her career. I really enjoy her later works and their expressive quality. I look at the styalized trees and mountains and there is still a strong sense of weight and mass behind them.
I may have said it before but to view the originals is to really get the full effect of the piece. Repros just don't cut it, which has a lot to do with why I never really investigated this artist prior.

No comments: