Wanderlust

09:58 Edit This 0 Comments »
I have to admit I have itchy feet. Of course that is not exactly a surprise to those who know me. With friends abroad in France and elsewhere it is so easy to get lost dreaming of elsewhere and drool over the travel guide section in the bookstore. I have been fortunate to travel as much as I have and here's hoping I will be able to travel much further afield in the future.
Travel is it's own freedom. I can plan out my trip to a point but invariably I turn a corner and find myself off the itinerary and in a world of different possibility. That random chance has been the start of some amazing adventures and beautiful moments. A lust for wandering is a lust for life, an opportunity to shake loose the mental cobwebs and enjoy being a little more awake than in our normal lives. Despite the phrase - coming back to the real world, the truth is you never left the real world in the first place. People are still the same nice, petty, self centered, helpful, complicated, warm and beautiful people they are in your own home town regardless of language or dress. There are still needs to be met in terms of shelter, food, and schedules. There is still the need to be watchful and take responsibility for your own care. There is still loneliness and friendship, the feeling of being on the outside looking in and yet also being a part of what is going on. None of that ever changes.
I always keep journals when I travel both written and the snap happy camera. I shop for things that leap out at me and talk about a particular time and place. I typically come home with twice the luggage that I set out with and my head and heart brimming with memories and experiences.
What are some of your favorite travel memories?

No comments: