Driving School Part I

21:48 Edit This 0 Comments »
My boyfriend had signed me up for the High Performance and Competition Driving Class held each year at Race City. I figure that's a pretty good birthday present, even if he didn't want to count it as that. The event itself was last weekend, and the friday night before was spent making sure the truck was in top shape for this. The rear shocks were changed, the tires checked, and most important of all - the truck was completely emptied of everything in the cab and the box. You can not have anything rattling around to distract you or fall under the brake pedal whilst driving at high speeds. (makes sense to me)
Saturday morning I was at the track bright and early. The boyfriend decided to stay home and sleep so I was on my own. I pull up to the entrance and sign the waiver, which basically says that if anything bad happens - tough. Motorsports are dangerous events so I assume full responsibility and Race City is not liable.
After that I pull into the oval track and I am directed to the south end for tech inspection. We had been split into two groups and a marshal with a white bingo dauber sponged a nice big letter "A" on my windshield. I park and pop the hood fairly certain all is well. But to my dismay the tech finds a few points he's not happy with plus I do not know what the tire pressures are supposed to be. I just have Larry's assertion that they are "good". This is what happens when it is not your truck. Remember the whole "empty your vehicle" thing? Now I get to be the silly blonde girl wandering from car to car asking to borrow a tire guage so I can record the tires! After that I find out I need electrical tape (long story for another day) and I begin the treck up and down the line again. Now I figure that I have pretty much demolished my credibility with these guys after that. Oh well, not much to done about that - other than politely give the boyfriend crap for the points that were overlooked when I get home. I was having visions of being told to leave but the techs said as long as I get everything done for the next day I would be ok.
Off to the classroom for the introduction....

No comments: