The dating game

19:38 Posted In , Edit This 2 Comments »
Yes I have been re-entering the dating scene after being out of it for some years. Mainly I have been perusing the online dating sites because it seems somewhat convenient with a broad base of people to draw from.

I'm still working out how and where else I can meet people. From what I have observed in the past year, I am neither young enough, skinny enough or a trashy enough dresser to make any headway in the bar scene. In all honesty, that is ok with me, the only guys who have hit on me at the bar (even when I was young and skinny enough) are looking for a warm willing - make that any female with a pulse to have sex with asap. Since they seem to have a hard time with the basics, like finding out my name, I don't bother with them.

Years ago I tried that whole speed dating thing and my experience with that told me yes, the class system is very much alive and well in my town. People like myself who do not have a higher income or prestigious occupation need not apply. (Did that sound a little harsh? Maybe, but having a room full of guys (on three seperate occasions!) cross their arms / lean back / and start looking elsewhere as soon as the topic of my work came up did nothing to impress me.) Maybe it might not be as bad now since my current job is definately better than what I had then but I still don't relish the idea.

The gym? I am too focused on what I am doing to pay any attention to anyone else. And while I do take the odd night class or participate in groups of some kind the ratio of men to women in those outings is considerably less than ideal. (Ok,ok in bellydance it is actually zero)

My friends know that I am dating again. Heck even my co-workers know but so far no leads have come from that. One even told me all about somebody I should meet but said meeting never materialized and I haven't heard about this individual since. Ah well.

I shall just have to continue with my online options for now.


2 comments:

Dana said...

There is someone out there for you, dearling! :-)

Katherine said...

I agree with Dana, there's definitely someone out there for you!

Re: class system - the other end of the spectrum doesn't work either. Guys get intimidated when they find out that you're farther ahead than they are, career-wise. :(