Reaching for the next level.

22:07 Posted In Edit This 1 Comment »

A few months ago, I and a few others in my previous belly dance class were told point blank by the instructor that we would be moving onto the intermediate level in our next class. In other words, we had been booted from the nest! We find ourselves now in the intermediate / advanced class and our brains and bodies are learning to deal (we hope) with a whole new set of challenges.

It is not simply a matter of learning new moves or steps, there are a few of those, but now we are being called upon to layer those moves with the existing ones. Do you remember that game as kids where you had to pat your head and rub your belly at the same time? This is like that except we are trying to pat our heads, rub our bellies, spin in a circle and hop from one foot to the other all at the same time! And as performers - do not let your face tell the world how confused you really are. (which part do you think is most challenging?)

I am thoroughly enjoying myself! I am finding it a real challenge which is good as I realise I have been playing things a little too safely for a while now. We all need to stretch ourselves or we become stagnant. We are learning a new choreography that we will hopefully be able to present to an audience later on this spring. I am looking forward to that!

1 comment:

JanuskieZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.