More dealings with Institutions

15:04 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
It seems this just isn't my time for dealing with institutions. I will not pretend to know the answers regarding why, but I do know that I am always puzzled by the convoluted ways things are handled.

I took some classes last year, and since those classes were with an accredited educational institution I am entitled to claim my tuition expenses as a tax credit. I am also entitled to what is known as an educational amount credit. This is a flat rate per month that you are enrolled and varies with whether you are a part or full time student. Of course, in my case my classes were technically "online" since my working hours prevented me from actually making it to the classroom. So because they are "online" I get the absolute barest amount for the educational credit - never mind that I had to spend the same as the in-class students on software etc. So I grumble about it and move on. But the real kicker this year is that I have still not received my tax form for my tuition credit. The schools are required to mail them out by the end of February and it is now April. I have received multiple "Unofficial Transcripts" showing my top of the class marks so yes, they *do* have my address. I have spoken with the school office and they say they will mail another. So I'll give it until Friday and then if it's not here I will call again. I really do not want to have to take time off work to go deal with this down town but if I have to that next week I will. Sigh...

Next up... The bank I deal with has decided to phase out both accounts that I use - claiming that less people are using these types of account and therefore they do not serve the client effectively. Since I have not changed my accounts since high school I can honestly say they serve me just fine thank you very much. So if I left it up to the bank, they would automatically convert my old accounts into new accounts with *double* the user fees. Nice. Now if I told all my customers that prices for services are doubling "just because" they would all tell me where to go in a very graphic manner. But when I phoned in this afternoon we managed to find an account that is pretty close to what I am currently paying in fees. As long as I watch my transactions I should be ok. At least the actual account numbers are not changing so I don't have to worry about the automatic payments that go through each month, that was my biggest concern.

And finally... Think back to our lovely trip to France. We had the full french experience - including transportation services going on strike. The long and the short, one of our flights was cancelled. When I attempted to get a refund for the lost flight, every "customer service"agent was completely unable to help in any way. When I followed the directions on the airlines website on getting my refund, they directed me to an 800 number and the lovely lady on the other end of the phone said: "Why are you phoning me? I cannot help you." I was given multiple addresses to send a letter to, but when I have had this much misdirection already do I really want to trust that? So finally I was frustrated enough I phoned my credit card company. I supplied all the flight numbers, dates etc. I was told I would see my credit in about 3 weeks. So far so good. My refund never showed up. I phoned again and was told there was no record of me phoning at all. So I started all over and gave this person all the details. There were two charges on my card but I only needed ONE reversed. Weeks later they reversed BOTH. Sigh... Not long after I have a letter in the mail from the credit card company stating that the airline is requesting payment for the other charge - the one that was NOT supposed to be reversed. The letter states: If you wish to dispute this charge please fax all supporting documents to blah blah blah. Since they are asking for payment for a service that I received I am perfectly ok with that and I did not dispute it. Now I see BOTH charges have been re-applied to my credit card! Of course, the gentleman on the phone with said card company acts like all of this is my fault.

When I specifically request ONE charge to be reversed and you the company reverse TWO charges - how is that my fault!? When the airline requests the ONE charge that it is entitled to and you submit TWO charges - how is that my fault?!

I have faxed in a letter along with copies of emails, letters, documents etc. I then phoned in and asked them to put a note on my file stating the fax had been sent. It looks like I will still be chasing this for a while. As I stated in my letter, this really is a simple matter that should have been taken care of last year.

*Update:
After phoning the school for my tax form, I received three forms over three days. Go figure. At least they all said the same amounts.

The credit card company has opted to 'reopen' my dispute in light of the information I faxed in. They say it will take 30 - 60 days to resolve. I say I will probably have to phone them every week to make sure they do it right. The fun never stops!

No comments: