Tarot decks

22:44 Edit This 2 Comments »
Not that long ago I was having a rather interesting conversation with a friend of mine about tarot cards. My friend had gone out and purchased a beautiful deck of cards and we were musing on the history and artwork of tarot in general.
I have collected several different tarot decks over the years. While a couple decks are set aside for occasional use the rest are mainly there for the artwork. I have posted a few examples of the range of artwork in my decks from the traditional to the modern. I even have a deck of cards specifically for cats which I thought was very funny - not OF cats, but FOR cats. :) I have never read them for my furry friend but I suspect if I did he would just lay across them and take a nap.
To be perfectly honest I think that regardless of your beliefs the tarot deck is a fascinating exercise in illustrative and artistic skills. To successfully pull off a series of 78 well crafted images rich in symbolic meaning and storytelling is a very good way to stretch yourself as an artist. I guess all I need is time one day to transfer my sketchbook drawings to the canvas. Here's hoping I get the chance to do so.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I rather like the Archeon deck art, although it looks like the artist was partial towards dark occultic themes. Given what most people use Tarot decks for, that's not surprising. :)

Susan said...

His images do tend to be dark and he is pretty heavily influenced by mythology and the symbolism. On the whole the images work well, personally I like the variety of layers in his images.