Simple Wedding

21:04 Edit This 1 Comment »
This afternoon I attended the wedding of a good friend. It was held at his father's home with a Justice of the Peace and a small circle of the happy couple's close friends.

The ceremony was simple and heartfelt. The JP was a lovely lady who had clearly been doing this for a while, very smoothly arranging people and gently helping along a very shy bride. Steph is a wonderful person but public speaking clearly makes her uncomfortable. Despite this the emotion and love for her husband shone through and there were very few dry eyes in the place. Likewise Gerard's spoken vows were heartfelt and sincere and I do believe together they will make a lifelong partnership.

I found myself wondering (quite naturally) what my own wedding may be like if I ever find myself at that place with someone. The appeal of a small and intimate ceremony like this is very strong but with my extended family plus close friends something this small would never be an option. Still, in my experience the smaller weddings are more memorable because of the relative closeness of everyone involved.

The banter was enjoyable as we mingled and caught up with each other's lives. While everyone there are good friends of the Gerard and Steph, several of us don't see each other all that often. Cameras were flashing (of course) and good natured jokes about the groom's brother joining the paparazzi (while sidelining as an urban ninja) made for some good times. This continued at a restaurant for a few more hours for the dinner before we parted ways. Once I get my film developed I can send them my shots and vice versa.

All in all this was a good day and I felt honoured to be a part of it. There is something very special in that public and legal declaration of commitment to each other that is a joy to be a part of.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Weddings are very special occasions indeed! Remember that it's really in two parts: the ceremony and the reception. Sentimentality-wise, it's the ceremony that gets me right in the heart. However, most guests just care for the reception and whether there's an open bar. :( So you can always invite some to one but not the other to create the atmosphere (and fit it into your budget) as needed. Just a thought.