Vicarious Drawing Classes

19:48 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
A friend of mine has been taking drawing classes part time at the art college. She has been checking in with me on a very regular basis, looking for advice and opinions. Thank goodness her instructors give decent outlines in their handouts because some days I have to read through that to get an understanding of what question she is asking. But I will say one thing, she is better than she thinks she is!

The latest class is unlike anything I have ever taken, it is actually designed to improve your skills for actual illustrative / design work. And believe me - it's not easy! I find it fascinating though, to check out her assignments. In fact, if I had the time (which I don't) I would seriously consider signing up for the class in September. But, be that as it may helping my friend has given me a few ideas to practice in the sketchbook.

My background is pretty much the opposite. In fact I can recall certain instructors who actively discouraged "realistic" art and illustration. In truth I honestly think the program I went through was seriously lacking in terms of key foundations. As a result I do not think my art is as strong as it could have been if those foundations were in place. What is my basis for this statement? Consider Klimt, Picasso, Dali, or any of those we consider masters. They had a grounding, a foundation in crafting realistic illusions. And when you truly understand the rules of how illusion works, you can more successfully bend those rules to express your vision.

No comments: