Tangling about...

20:20 Posted In Edit This 1 Comment »


I have added a new dimension to my journaling lately, namely I have been attempting to doodle. It's a bit wierd (to me anyway) but I used to doodle and draw all the time. Then once I really got into painting it is as if a switch had been flipped in my head - I couldn't doodle anymore and drawing became more difficult. As I have focused on henna art, some of my drawing and doodling ability has returned. So far as I can tell this has made no difference to my painting ability. And now I'm trying another tactic.

The popular term for it now is Zentangle. The aim is not to create something recognizable, but to engage in a deliberate act of mark making that is essentially a visual meditative process. I find it a pleasant way to relax and bring me back to the here and now (handy, since my brain is usually going several strange directions at once). It requires my brain to focus and shove the other chatter to the back burner for a while. This zentangling is also a handy puzzle to play with. Yes I can fill the spaces with random repeating patterns but I still want the overall result to work in a visual way. I am looking for a sort of balance and flow if you will.

And of course, I am thinking this will make a fun incubator for henna patterns as well!

1 comment:

Dana said...

This looks like fun! :-)